These bagels are boiled with honey and then baked for that authentic bagel flavor and texture.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1.In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Add the oil, sugar, 3 tablespoons honey, brown sugar, salt and egg; mix well. 3.Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
4.Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 8-10 minutes until a smooth, firm dough forms. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Punch the dough down. Shape it into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten bagels slightly.
6. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water and remaining honey to a boil. Drop bagels, 1 at a time, into boiling water. Cook bagels for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer.
7. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon; drain and sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
8.Place bagels 2 inches (5cm) apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Turn and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings: 1 dozen bagels
Nutritional Information: 265 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.